Sunday, July 8, 2007

Nebraska: Better than you'd expect

Hey all, Mike here.
Reporting from Denver, CO. We spent most of yesterday in Nebraska which, at first sounded completely horrible. The great plains, 90+ temperatures.....it was all a recipe for miserable travelers. But, Nebraska turned out to be (and I might be jumping the gun a little) one of the biggest surprises of our trip thus far. I'll let Emma describe via captions.

Today, we get to see newly engaged Mike Jolley and Jenny, who are also on a cross country trek.



Lincoln, NE had a gorgeous farmer's market. While smaller than Madison's, it packed quite a whallop.

For example, they had homemade root beer for 50 cents a cup. Mike drank some.
This teensey blueberry pie was exactly as good as it looks.
Come on, like you wouldn't have been that excited about meat on a stick. Mike had one too. I swear.
Mike + fonts + coffee.
This tasted better than it looks. Mike shared it, I swear.
I asked the cute girls selling the blueberry pies where I should go shopping. They sent me to a place called Ruby Begonia's, where I lost my mind. While I was losing my mind, Mike was taking extreme close-ups of the movie posters on their walls.
Driving west, we passed some self-proclaimed Jesus freaks. Here, Mike turns into the devil and tries to eat them.
What? What is this? We'd been driving for three hours through the plains, and then...
We found a beach. A beach. In the middle of Nebraska.
We went swimming. How could we not?
We were not the only smart ones. It was ninety-some degrees.
We sat. We read. Below, other places to sit. The one on the right is a toilet.
From the beach, we drove another few hours to Carhenge.
Mike was so excited, he levitated.
We were not the first to be thrilled by the car art.



Bunhenge.


And then, after a day of surprises, the inevitable. Guess which one of us got a speeding ticket.

Next stop, Colorado! The Rockies! The desert! The forecast calls for rain, but we scoff at the forecast.

love
E + M

3 comments:

sasharose said...

i LOVE this blog. looks like quite an adventure. please keep us entertained with your discoveries.
-sash

Unknown said...

i am jealous and starting to hate you both a little bit. also, i'd like to hear more about the shopping please.

sasharose said...

I would also like to hear/see more of this vinatge gem.