Sunday, July 29, 2007

"And held hands in the streets of Seattle": Seattle #2

As our trip rounds its final corner, we spent our final days keeping busy in Seattle and trying to imagine ourselves living in various neighborhoods. We'll see what happens.

Now Emma with the comments, though I might pop in though for some "guest comments" in the Against Me! section...


Two-thirds of the Beaman family were in town for a visit. Tyler led us to the Baguette Box.

Behold, the Crispy Drunken Chicken Sandwich. We liked the place so much that we went back the next day.

After lunch, we went to the park. Some of Hazel's key words of the day: swing, slide, cool.

She was having so much fun on the swing that the boys wanted in on the action.
Hazel is also proficient in the art of the high five.
That night, John got us tickets to the play he's working on, Craig Lucas' 'A Prayer for my Enemy.' It was the very first preview, and so things weren't perfect, but an evening at the theater is always nice.

To thank him for his hospitality, we took John out to breakfast the next morning. As he put it, whenever he's borrowing a mansion, we are welcome to stay. Cheers. Jane and Micheal Stern told us that the 14 Carrot Cafe in Eastlake was the best breakfast in town, and as usual, they were right.

After breakfast, Mike and I went to Ballard for the Viking Seafood Festival.
Some large men in overalls were using these metal boxes as fish-y barbeques.
After another trip to the Baguette Box, it was time for the Capital Hill Block Party. Above, John Vanderslice in the sunshine. Looking at him, one gets the idea that he doesn't spend a whole lot of time outdoors.

While we were waiting for the other bands of interest to play, we headed to the park for a little friendly competition.
We each won a game, isn't that nice? I would have won a second, but Mike was losing so badly that he forfeited. Poor thing.

Just before Against Me! takes the stage, Emma starts to look nervous. All the boys with black shirts make her take a step back as I take a step forward.

As always Against Me! were perfect. What sets them apart from other punk bands is their complete professionalism on stage. They play everything perfectly while still bouncing around and smiling like it's the best show they've ever played before. Right now, I am a happy boy.

Oddly, there were a handful of people who gave the band the finger and the "thumbs down" every time they played a song off their newly released, magnificent album "New Wave". It seems a little weird to me to come to a show, scream and dance during the songs you like, then boo at the ones you don't.

After one of my faves, "Sink. Florida. Sink," the guy next to me said, "That was religious." I agreed.

My post-show happiness. I also partially lost my voice. Emma will explain how happy I was.

Let me put it this way-- Mike was so happy that he was drenched in sweat. We walked to the car so he could change. Above, back in time for Spoon.

Also, it got dark.
Our backs hurt. It was a long day. We went over to the side for a little Britt close-up. Mike, still panting a bit, said, "If they play 'Small Stakes,' then we can go." They did. We went.

The crowd in Seattle was remarkably well-behaved. You couldn't pay me to go to the Siren Festival, but this one wasn't so bad. Really, though, much like the pasty John Vanderslice, I enjoy being inside. Also, chairs. Chairs are fantastic.

The moon over Seattle.

Ok, people. We are now turning right and heading East. It's only a twenty-six hour drive back to Madison. Wish us luck, and stay tuned.

love
E + M

4 comments:

sasharose said...

I wish I'd been there to see Against Me!

Miguel Cane said...

Best of luck and we remain tuned.
(I'm still in the trunk, munching on donuts) ;)

Godspeed!

Unknown said...

when my sister lived in seattle for 10 months, all she did was drink milkshakes (alone) and play pinball (alone) and adopt a cat and get depressed and gain weight. i think it had more to do with her boyfriend than with seattle, but it's nice to see the other side of life.

Anonymous said...

PROTEST SONGS!!!!